I experience the "lick the contacts" ONLY with stanton trackmaster IIs and
similar.  The contacts on them are rounded and seem to lose contact after
only 3 months or so.  I think that if you're having problems like that, it
may be self-propogating, or because you've had to do it - you have to
continue doing it.  I've personally never had to do that with ortofons,
and i've been using them for quite some time.

dense.