well, part of my last job was working in a mailroom and I got to play
practically anything I wanted. I did't so much get strange looks from
playing techno/house/etc. - more like it was playing some techno stuff
followed by blues, followed by some rock band, followed by something like
funk or "world" music, and then a bit of jazz.  It was if nobody had ever
listened to more than one genre of music. People were genuinely surprised
by the diversity of music I was playing.  And if anyone had the courage to
talk to me about "electronica" (it was all the rage back then) they had to
suffer while I explained the history in proper terms like house, techno,
drum & bass, etc. ;D

MEK