I second the Richard Devine vote.  Most of the core Schematic artists are
laptoppy (?) and still manage to really get the audience involved.  My personal
favorite is Otto von Schirach -- his live show is nuts.

Another group of great live laptop performers are the ZOD Records guys out of
Wisconsin.  Curtis Chip and Emotional Joystick are particularly good, and both
incorporate other instruments.  CC incorporates an old Sequential Circuits drum
machine and some other vintage toys, while EJ does live organ along with the
laptop glitch.  see www.zodrecords.com -- I see they are doing some shows in
the Netherlands in early July, you Euro 313ers should check it out.

As far as more traditional Detroit-flavored techno, I though Joris Voorn's set
at Movement was the best techno live PA I've seen in a very long time.

Seems like most "producers" -- or at least most producers around here -- use a
laptop simply as a means to DJ without the chance of trainwrecking.  If it's
billed as a "Live PA" the artist should actually be CREATING something, not
just throwing someone else's loops into Ableton and sequencing everything a
week before the show.  wtf are they doing up there anyway, checking their email?

- jobot