just to serve as another data point. i absolutely do
buy records after I've downloaded the mp3.

if i download it and listen to it once or twice i
don't buy it. if i listen to it a bunch i really do
want to track it down. the local shops here in san
francisco don't really stock the deep techno, and i'm
not usually satisfied with a the 20 sec needle drop
sample, so getting to listen to the mp3s while I work
is the best way for me to find the stuff I love.