Alex,

http://www.mccready.cwc.net/contents.html

Rav

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 22 September 2004 10:34
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) If

First a disclaimer:

I was not living in Manchester at this time (although I was born here), I
was also far too young for all this, so every bit of info I have is 2nd
hand.

Has anyone got the link for McCready's page btw?

Also, popping to see my mate at lunch.
He'll put us straight, he was selling records to the Hacienda djs at the
time (from '85 onwards I believe).

So, he can tell us exactly who was buying what and when.

But yeah, just to re-iterate, don't confuse the early house nights at the
Hac with 'Madchester', thats much later!

For what it's worth, I don't think there is a second city of techno, Detroit
is a one off, and anything else that compares is strong enough in it's own
right to have it's own little name for what it does.

e.g. Sheffield, Manchester, Chicago, New York etc....

And also, Chicago provided the majority of the soundtrack to the Hacienda I
believe, as opposed to Detroit. By the time the Detroit records were around,
I think they were playing alot of Italian stuff, and also English stuff too.
Of course, it was a massive part of it, but I think it's stretching it to
say that Detroit was the main contributor to Hacienda music. One of me
bessie mates was in there three nights a week at this time and will gladly
tell anyone that will listen what records they were playing.

Also, hacienda opened '81 I think? My mate has a membership card from '83,
as alot of the bands he was well into used to play there alot. The music
policy changed pretty radically over the years, but my mate tells me that
while they played alot of rock and wave and what have you, the policy was
still 'danceable beat' if you know what I mean.

When did Greg Wilson do his thing there? Didn't they stop his Friday's to do
house instead? Was that '87? or was that earlier?? This was after the
midweek things were getting ridiculous I think? I think Wednesday and
Thursday were the nights for some time. I think they HAD to move it to the
weekend too as it was getting out of hand I believe.

My mate tells crazy crazy crazy stories of these nights.

Anyone know Greg to ask him? Martin? Robin?

and also, don't take this as gospel, I might have a few things wrong, I'll
make sure I check my facts.

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

PricewaterhouseCoopers may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other
telecommunications on its e-mail and telecommunications systems. By replying
to this e-mail you give your consent to such monitoring