For the sake of being mildly controversial, it could be argued
that Dusseldorf is city #1 (Kraftwerk) while Detroit is city #2
(Atkins, May, Saunderson & co)...

In the context of techno music, though, rather than electronic
music in a broader sense, I'd definitely plump for Berlin over
any city in the UK. However I'd also consider LA, which had a
"techno" scene at around the same time as Detroit's techno
scene was emerging (Techno Kut records, etc; a more overtly
Cybotron-influenced style with no house characteristics, but
it called itself techno).

Brendan