Music isn't selling as it used to, period. The market is in transition and
no one knows where it's heading. I think it's some kind of technological
revolution that we don't completely understand as of yet.
There does seem to be a trend for underground acts to set themselves up as
bands, get a singer, and make something more organic, perhaps less
'faceless'. I don't think it's necessarily cynical as after all most grew up
with bands like Depeche Mode or whatever (many techno types here are old
goths, weirdly, who are rediscovering their love of bands like The Cure) and
that's a genuine avenue of exploration for a maturing producer. But at the
same time I hear a lot of tracks with vocals, not songs, and when the music
is like that it's not especially memorable, doesn't stand out, doesn't
click. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say - I'm not a slave to pop
structures, but... I think Technasia make brilliant techno 'songs' with
hooks and the vocals and everything - superb.
The songs with Charles Siegling and their instrumentals are first-rate.
I am sure with a different marketing strategy (and some money for videos, ha
ha) they could have become a techno Daft Punk without changing their music
at all.

<313@hyperreal.org>