Yes, that is very true for Australia, but I have no figures.
Alicia Keys' latest record is considered a commercial failure (to BMG's
dismay, many of the staff believed in what is an extraordinary record) yet
her Australian shows have sold out.
I think people - young people - are putting money in mobile phones and so
don't have as much money for records. They download. Also people spend money
on live shows and download music. Many a musician says that touring, not
record sales, is their main source of income these days.
Australia has always had a strong live circuit though.