I have heard this so often - and consistently - from such a cross section
that it would be impossible to dispute.
The facts speak for themselves.
So many distributors have done under, for a start.
I think most if not all labels have tracked sales so if you were really
determined to verify it beyond hearsay then you would be overwhelmed with
evidence. ;)
You could chart sales of pop albums - where it's easier to ascertain and
access info from Billboard - and work your way down to vinyl and specific
genres. It would be interesting for someone to do, I guess, if they had the
patience for stats! May be depressing though!