yes, as I said, it's not that I don't believe it - I'm just curious to see
if there are stats/charts/bar graphs/whatever in any trade magazines.

from what I read recently - vinyl is actually becoming popular again, very
very slowly, but still...

by the way, there's many reasons distribution companies go out of business
besides direct result of drop in sales at the retailers. Nemesis could have
been managed poorly from within on all sorts of levels. They might have
grown out of touch with the changes in the US dance music market. Not
saying that's the reason they've closed but it's just an example of things
that happen. It's not always 1+1=2. Same goes for record retailers. They
open and close more often than distributors I would guess.

MEK

                      Matthew Mangold

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       313@hyperreal.org

                      .edu>                    cc:

                                               Subject:  re: (313) techno isn't
selling
                      10/06/2004 11:55

                      AM

How about the fact that Nemesis distribution has gone out of
business? How about the fact that there's never any more than
two people in the dance room at the record stores? How about
the fact that the wholesale price on an import is over 8 USD?
The stores are only doing techno orders once every three
weeks or so (at a lot of places, I know not *all* of them)
and allocating their funds to things like hip-hop.

I was in the shop the other day, and strangely enough, the
whole rap/hip-hop/r&b section was booming with customers...
something I haven't seen in the house/techno area of the
store for QUITE some time.

Techno definately isn't selling atm.

Matthew
http://threeonethree.com