At many points in time when I was younger, people used to say to me (more
or less) "Do you REALLY think you'll still be listening to this kind of
music when you're 40?" [the assumption obviously being that it was just a
fad]

It didn't really matter WHAT it was that I was listening to.  Since it
wasn't mainstream pop, I suspect that it was because it was music THEY
didn't appreciate.

the idea that I should grow out of liking a certain kind of music just
because I've gotten older seemed ridiculous when i was younger and it
seems even more ridiculous now.

I'm 35 and I still listen to all the music that was called into question
when I was younger.  I listen to a wider variety of music than I did when
I was 12, but that doesn't mean that I don't still enjoy the music I
enjoyed when I was 12, such as disco, which was club music also.

So why on earth wouldn't I still want to throw down some Pantytec when I'm
60??  Maybe there will be some other heads in the old folks home eager to
hear some "golden oldies" other than Britney Spears and Eminem.