True, it is pretty much the "NYC attitude", but that doesn't make it any
more palatable.

I used to shop there when I lived in NYC. A number of the people at SG
were aloof, but not nearly as actively bitchy as the people in certain
other stores (like Breakbeat Science, Kims on St Marks, Generation,
certain people at Throb).

regardless, it is sad that they're gone.  It was a great resource.