always found the combination of juan (the melody and feel) and derrick (the bite and edits) to be a good one so today's random choice to explain what i'd mean by Detroit techno would probs be:

Model 500 - The Chase - Mayday's version - Metroplex

ask me tomorrow and i'd probs say somat different.

Strings of Life does something to a room every time it's played though, i have to admit.

robin...

Yeah for me it would have to be a Juan track, He was there in the beginning
and has consistantly put out quality to this day.
'I wanna be there' would have to be up there - deep. or No UFOs, that
bassline rocks to this day. Then there's the Infiniti material, I can't
choose.

OK, I choose No UFOs, its what techno was and to a degree still is.