On Wed Dec 22 13:40 , 'Odeluga, Ken' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>Albums:
>
>LP OF THE YEAR
>Madvillain - Madvillainy - Pias:
>
>This gets my award for being the best crafted LP and most consistent overall
>concept within an LP, which I came
across this year. To say something is 'timeless' is a cliché, but there's a
good reason for that. Often the safest bet
on what will still sound good in 10, 20 years time is a good way of sifting the
wheat from the chaff. This is
definitely wheat!

...and

>Subjective opinion of what was not so good about 2004 - not enough really
>interesting house music - although
admittedly 2003 was superb for that
>These are all of course, just my own personal opinions.

Ken, can't agree more about either of these two claims. Just watched One Dot
Zero volume 3 last night and saw a video
from the Madvillain album, which was a pretty cool comic book style thing. Dug
it. That album has been at the top of
my list for this year since it came out though, so can't see it budgeing in the
next 9 days. ;)

I haven't had internet access at home for a few weeks, and won't for the near
future, so my charts are going to have
to wait until next year I think. I'll make up for it with a top 50. ;) I'll
reveal this much now. 'Fast Forward' is my
12" of the year. Late entry, 12" surprise of the year goes to Lowtec on
Playhouse, just when I was about to write that
label off. That is the possibly the sickest bass I've ever heard. Even licks
Decompression. ;) Juan Atkins and Henrik
Schwarz will share the honour of producer of the year, with Yoav B lagging
behind only by lesser output.

Francis, I saw you mentioned Fast Forward Pt 2. Did I miss something or was
that Back to Basics Pt 2?

So yeah, re: house music in 2004, I think there were some stand-out new faces,
like Silvio Manuel on Ferris Park, Omar
S, Henrik Schwarz on the techier end of things, Tony Foster on Mixmode and a
few others, but on the whole there was
nowhere near the momentum of last year. Also, Domu seems to be the only broken
beat producer I'm following
consistently anymore, and Sonar Kollektiv was the only consistent broken label.
Luckilly, my buying habits shifted
back to techno in a huge way. It was arguably the best year for new techno
since '96 - well the best I can think of
anyway.

Happy holidays all! Hope to see some of the London massive and maybe some
tourist at Public Life for NYE. Expect
CARNIAGE! ;)

Tristan