I don't think he was ever apologising or hiding anything at all- it was (as he has stated quite a few times now) simply an attempt to make people focus on the music and not the personality behind the music. As for "techno elitists" and the whole "underground" thing, its just not something that pops up in most music fans conversations these days, at least not in the sort of negative clique-ey sort of way that it perhaps used to- I simply can't remember the last time I heard someone complain "oh, they're just not underground anymore"- give us a few examples of the people you are talking about?

cheers

Jason