From: Jari Tolkkinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>On the topic of who gets the money.
>
>Do you guys think it's morally wrong to download a song that is
somehow
>impossible to get? We all know many cases where the record has
been long
>deleted and it is only possible to get from ebay/gemm/where ever.

really impossible to find tracks that you cant buy are why i have
any mp3s really. if its able to be bought and i like it enough to
listen to it ill buy it.

>Example: Let's assume I whip up 40-50e for a record (current
asking for
>DBX - Losing control remixes for example), how does that benefit the
>artist? It only benefits the guy who managed to buy a copy at the
time it
>was available.

the ones on peacefrog? ill sell you mine for far less than 40-50
euros.

>I say we need either more re-presses and/or good mp3 stores. I
think we
>are seeing the both happening now. I love those
>planet-e/metroplex/transmat represses, I'm buying them like hot
cakes. I
>also love bleep where I can buy long lost tracks by Drexciya and
others.

i think great music should always be pressed. as much as i love
having some of the rare and hard to find sh*t i have id rather it
just all always be around. but thats not the case. i love the
represses planet e has been doing and i just wish that the
retroactive stuff was coming next. in the meantime the only
retroactive stuff ill have is mp3s that i would gladly buy if they
were available.

>This then brings us to the issue of "everybody can be a dj". I
think we
>all have those limited edition and white label gems which we
guard like
>hawks. I confess that I'm a little pissed if a dj plays the tune
from cd-r
>that I've been hunting down for ages.

i dont know that id be pissed exactly, but i would definitely be
like "so what?". nothing is impressive to me about a collection of
ripped off things.

>But you know what, this is the
>modern days and I think it's good that anybody can be a dj. And
by anybody
>can be a dj, I mean anybody can go to bleep and buy the
drexciya's journey
>home (like I did a while ago :)) and play that funky music. I
think the
>vast selection of records just emphasizes the selection skills and
>technique of the dj.

i mean these should be the things deejays are judged by. but
theres not as much room for dedication to music if all it takes is
some computer DLing stuff for you all night long. getting your
fingers dirty is what deejaying is about for me, discovering new
and old things both popular and not.

>It also emphasizes the fact that a good dj has to
>have some kind of knowledge about the history of dance music.
There is
>millions and millions good tunes made today and in the future
there will
>be even more. But to weed out the good tunes from the sea of
electronic
>music, you have to know who are the good producers that you like,
which
>labels puts out funky tunes etc etc.
>
>In one sentence: Dedication to music in whole.

dedication is good.

tom

andythepooh.com