well, if you run your own record label and/or retain the rights to all or
any of your music then you'd be singing a different story.
you can't defend the people who don't defend themselves (unless, of course,
you're a lawyer)

I know several artists who either have complete right over all of their
music - they get every damn cent from licensing their tracks to either
other labels, commercial advertising, record sales (minus whatever
distribution and such), etc.

they'd never say - "Ah you know what? Ta hell with this copyright bullsh*t!
It's for chumps... "
Some people were smart (or conniving) from the beginning - like Larry
Sherman.  The guys giving their music over to him were naive and
shortsighted.
They didn't really think the music would be any bigger than a hit at their
local club.  I think time has proven that it has - they lost - and should
be considered an example of what not to do.
I think we've had enough music history behind us to know that every
musician should protect themselves and if capable - own the rights to
everything.
Some people don't want to deal with it - fine - they can take their chances
but if they get ripped off then they just got a lesson in Music Business
101.
It would have been cheaper to buy and read a $20-30 book on the subject
instead.

As for bootlegs - they're illegal - plain and simple. Artists should keep
their ear to the ground and take action against anyone who rips them off.
Problem is if you're buying bootlegs then you're part of the problem as
well.  You have no f*cking right to complain about the artist not getting
paid when you're paying the g'damn bootleggers for their work.

I'm not a huge fan of major label monopoly and consolidation by any means
but copyright is there for a reason.  It can work in your favor if you
understand it.  Free expression and the sharing of ideas is great but the
minute some big @ss corporation uses your song without notifying you or
paying you I guarantee you'll be calling a lawyer.

MEK

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             adersDigest.com
             02/17/05 09:01 PM         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                                        cc
                                       313@hyperreal.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) Italian dj fined over one
                                       million

whose bills got paid when i bought the d-train boot this week?
and all those trax records i own - i paid someone's bills, but it wasn't
larry heard's or adonis's. it paid larry sherman's bills.

if my money isn't going to go to the artist i'd rather not give it to the
person who worked out how to rip off the artist.
james
www.jbucknell.com

             "Thomas D. Cox,
             Jr."
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             h.com>                    <313@hyperreal.org>
                                                                        cc
             18/02/05 01:43 PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) Italian dj fined over one
             Please respond to         million
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  h.com>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>how does buying vinyl help? half my record collection contains
illegal
>samples or outright bootlegs and re-edits - from 'planet rock',
through to
>the d-train boot that arrived in the mail this week (thanks
piccadilly).
>sampling, bootlegging, biting and copying is at the very heart of
modern
>dance music. it's why it's so fantastically good. drop the modernist
>notions of authenticity, ownership and authorship  and say hi to the
>postmodern world - you know you like it.

postmodernism doesnt pay the bills, vinyl records do.

tom

andythepooh.com

ForwardSourceID:NT0001A17A