as a former nicotine user, ssX is newer and better. 1-it is updated on a weekly basis on average in the builds directory, and its native to os x. The only feature that is missing is remembering a search like in nicotine, and the things i like feature. It is alot nicer on the eyes, i have my windows transparent black. It is also very easy to install. I prefer it over any other version including the pc. A downside to nicotine is that the programer is working on museek for linux and not on nicotine.