I don't really remember when faster tempo's took over or became as much of a
deal. I remember older electro (we called it bootyshake music down here). Like
hip hop be bop is hecka slow. Most older house used to be pretty slow. Secret
tapes of dr eich I remember being pretty slow( at least my neigborhood, parking
garage politics, and slam dance). Optic nerve quasar is about there. Those old
legowelt trax that JT posted awhile back, pretty slow. I don't think tempo was
as big of a deal back then. Thing were still very wide open. This brings me to
a conversation that took place between myself and a friend over the weekend. We
were on typical Sunday morning after status (treats still in the bloodstream,
wine in a glass, 7:30 am, shades on, in a lawn chair on the patio) when he
started playing a bunch of older orbital, and slower breakyer rave stuff.
Mostly the dubby bassy deep bidness. We had a long talk about the raves we used
to go to (not sure if it was the same overseas) and!
  there was almost always a point (usually 6-7AM) when the party would go
underwater and everyone would be locked into a kind of psychedelic midtempo,
bodyrock. It's what we looked forward to everytime. No more madness and chaos,
just a beat and a vibe controlling like 2000 people at once. Are there any dj's
playing that futuristic bodyrock anymore (it wasn't like electro, but drew from
it and freestyle just the same)? Do you even know what I'm talking about? Maybe
I'll get Jim to do a mix.

Kamal K. Stoddard
Turner Broadcasting Systems