Cyclone Wehner wrote:

Alas even at cred cerebral techno events it's obligatory for a female to
dress up or be seen as an outcast
Geez, what's going on down there in Melbourne Cyclone? When did the
techno scene become all about fashion? *shudders*

Techno and funwear go hand in hand, as far as I'm concerned. Some of the most interesting, forward-thinking clothing I've seen has been in stores that make clubwear for the "techno crowd".

Not that "dressing up" is a necessity, but it is fun to see people wearing more unusual clothing at parties. Nothing wrong with a little extra visual stimulation.

Clubbing has always been about fashion! Everywhere. I don't think it's a bad
thing. But inherent in fashion are the codes that can be oppressive (usually
to women). I can't recall a girl wearing track suits as guys do! ;)

I have!

I've seen women at parties dressed like they'd just rolled off the sofa and hit the clubs. Super cazh. At least they can let loose and not have to worry about sweating in some expensive outfit, or spraining an ankle trying to do the dimbi in stiletto heels.