From: "Stewart Caig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>The MC's at raves circa late 89 were using the phrase hardcore
back then,
>but the phrase happy hardcore hadnt been invented at that point
as far as I
>knew of. I remember aroun d the time that music started getting a
little
>harder with the likes of Cubik, Technarchy and then in thier wake
all the
>hard Euro rave stuff that was coming out on Target and Music Man was
>considered 'hardcore'. It wasn't during that period around 91
when there
>were all the Fantasia raves and the like and there were 500+
uplifiting
>piano samples over a breakbeat and a female vocal tracks coming
out every
>week that I started hearing the term 'happy hardcore'.

and tracks like those continued having more ot do with jungle than
with stompy nonsense for a couple more years. check stuff on these
comps:

http://www.discogs.com/release/167618

http://www.discogs.com/release/171610

http://www.discogs.com/release/171616

http://www.discogs.com/release/238717

http://www.discogs.com/release/83447

all of those contain stuff that led to both jungle and happy
hardcore as we know then on it. most years on the tracks are like
91-93 and all feature break beats, pianos, and female vocals.

tom

andythepooh.com