[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

rob hall was more interesting since he was djing therefore able to read
the
crowd more and make it all more enjoyable. i enjoyed him playing early 90s

uk happy hardcore

You know, this is what bugs me about this stuff in general.

I hate that snotty 'idm' attitude, that if you don't like the music, it's
just flying over your head, or you aren't sophisticated or intelligent
enough to like it, you don't 'get it'.

then you get their dj playing happy hardcore.

just so I know, there isn't anything good or worth bothering with about
happy hardcore is there? or was I missing something?

I was around and buying records at the height of happy hardcore, and
hardcore I guess before it came 'jungle' or 'd&b'. didn't get it then,
don't get it now.

Best Regards,

Confused, from Manchester.

Yes, that sort of snottiness is truly annoying, though it should go without
saying that the IDM scene is no different from any other scene.    You can
count on finding snooty scenesters wherever you go.

As for Happy Hardcore, it may just be an acquired taste. I used to think it some of the silliest crap I'd ever heard. Now I love the stuff!! I still think its some of the silliest crap I've ever heard, though that's precisely its charm.
At its best, the music is SO unabashedly upbeat that it is infectious.  Plus,
the music is so consonant it makes me more aware of how comparitively dissonant
most of the music I listen to is. Sometimes, I do feel extremely happy and
elated and Happy Hardcore fits that mood perfectly, especially early 90s happy
breaks.

When I think about it, I'm actually hard-pressed to think of very many techno/trance/jungle tracks that convey such a bright, sunny mood without tinges of wistfullness, melancholy or irony.
{}o+>|