Been listening to a lot of this kind of stuff recently via comps like Dawn Of
Electronica - John Foxx is the nuts - I especially like his Underpants song
-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Earle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 22 June 2005 17:59
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) Ultravox

On Jun 21, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Cyclone Wehner wrote:
> I unearthed an Ultravox 'best of' for very little the other day.  This
> is one
> of the most underrated electronic bands ever... - always found Midge
> Ure's
> soulful tones very affecting.  I was not in favour of their later
> material -
> too Big Country/Simple Minds like for me - but anything circa Vienna
> was
> great.  The comp I got, The Finest, has Midge's rendition of Fade To
> Grey
> (live) which is vastly different to the version they did with Steve
> Strange
> as Visage but kinda cool since Midge possesses a stronger voice, and a
> very
> soulful one.  More guitar oriented, less atmospheric, but edgy and
> cool.
> Anyone heard it?  It's interesting that Visage should retain their cool
> longer than Ultravox, but I think on the whole the Visage material was
> excellent and still sounds compelling.

Whoa, this must be the Generation Gap[tm] speaking.  (Sorry Cyclone :-)
)

To me, there's Ultravox! and then there's Ultrasheen.  Ultravox! were a
great band, fronted by John Foxx.  Ultrasheen was (IMHO) pompous wank,
fronted by Midge Ure.  I can't stand any of the Ure era stuff, it's
awful.

Visage retains their cool longer than Ultrasheen because they were a
better band.  There's a reason you'll still hear Visage's "Frequency 7"
and not the Midge Ure/Ultrasheen stuff; the former pisses all over the
latter from a great height.  IMNSHO, of course  :-)

> I'd never heard the Ultravox (or poss Midge solo) version of Fade To
> Grey
> but I knew Ultravox basically were Visage with the addition of Steve
> Strange.

Nope, nope, nope.  Visage was half of Ultrasheen with half of Magazine
(Barry Adamson, Dave Formula) and John McGeogh (Magazine/Banshees/PiL)
along with Steve Strange.

> Ultravox's Vienna is one of the best records EVER.

BGAK!  *Sputter* ;)

My own (highly biased) suggestions:

Foxx's "Metamatic".  (One of the Greatest Albums Ever Made)
"Systems Of Romance".  (Classic)
"Ha! Ha! Ha!".  (If only for "Hiroshima Mon Amour", one of their best)
"Ultravox!" (first album) if the rest made you a fan.
Avoid all Ure-era Ultravox like the plague  :-)

Ob313: Someone's been posting a lot of good 313 to Usenet's
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.electronic newsgroup lately.  (And I found the
Visage album and German "Fade To Grey" 7" single posted to
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.gothic-industrial)

        - Greg

Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of Channel Four Television Corporation unless specifically stated. This
email
and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this
email in
error, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank You.