Why?
Man, he had a superb, soulful voice like fellow Scot Annie Lennox - strong
contrast with the electronic music. (I notice that Eurythmics are
experiencing a revival among leftfield club DJs at the moment.) And, man,
did he not have the look. Suave with a capital S!
The record Vienna is magnificent!
I just got the Vienna LP for $5 (around US$8) yesterday - mint - in a little
second hand shop in Camberwell along with Rage In Eden & Dare. What a steal.
His later solo stuff was mixed - I agree, though his version of No Regrets
is cool.

BTW I recently did an interview with Howard Jones! He is such a cat! It's a
real joy interviewing these 80s acts who are now being recognised. Maybe I
can post it online somewhere. He is quite familiar with current electronic
music and had some interesting insights into the marketing of electronic
music.
Iva Davies of Icehouse is fascinating too.