I'd love to see more history books on black music actually include techno.
I'm looking at this book on Amazon called "Souled American: How Black Music
Transformed White Culture"

here's the review:
>From the first white performer who painted his face black to Eminem, white
America's obsession with black music spans centuries. In "Souled American",
author Kevin Phinney takes a thoughtful and thought-provoking look at how
genres such as rock 'n' roll, jazz, blues, soul, country, and hip-hop
emerged through changing social and political times and the dynamic black
and white personalities that shaped them. It includes dozens of exclusive
celebrity interviews and anecdotes from such music luminaries as: Ray
Charles, Willie Nelson, Donna Summer, Little Richard, B.B. King, Jerry
Wexler, Sly Stone, Steve Cropper, George Clinton, Joe Cocker, Buddy Guy,
Ken Burns, Donny Osmond, Eric Burdon, David Byrne, Kid Rock, Bonnie Raitt,
Beck, The Supremes, The Temptations, and The Jackson 5. Equal parts social
history and pop culture, the book argues that no form of American music can
be described accurately as "ethnically pure," and fleshes out the
tug-of-war between blacks and whites as they create, recreate, and claim
each phase of popular music.

Great, completely ignores disco, house, techno, etc.
Really tired of seeing it all ignored time and again.  It's great that
books like Techno Rebels, A DJ Saved My Life, Love Saved the Day, etc. are
around.
Still, I'd love to see someone write a book that goes into the
social/cultural/political aspects of the music like "Souled American" does.
I think house & techno's connections to soul, jazz, blues, hip-hop, etc.
and it's roots in America - how it was welcomed in Europe and then resold
back to the US, the struggle that it has had with black audiences (as
opposed to hip-hop) yet the innovations made in techno have been adopted by
other "genres", etc. all this would easily fill a nice big book and make
for a compelling read.

MEK

             "Nathan"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             .au>                                                       To
                                       "313 list" <313@hyperreal.org>
             01/06/06 08:08 AM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) book

>> A few people have been raving about "Love Saved The Day" (right title?).

>> I haven't read it, but it's supposed to be ace - more on a disco tip
>> though.
>
> Excellent book that's focussed on disco, his new one is out soon and that

> is supposedly more on the house vibe. Can't wait.

yeah, i've got it, haven't actually read it yet, but must do soon. i think
it says in the front of the book that the idea was to cover early disco, up

to current times, but had so many interviews that decided do two books.
actually, here's a quote:

"Love Saves The Day was originally going to run from 1970-2000, but ended
up
surging past any kind of reasonable word limit by 1980."

peeps that he's interviewed for the next book include armando, juan atkins,

joe clausell, chip e, kenny 'dope" gonzalez, larry heard, steve "silk"
hurley, marshall jefferson, ian levine, lil' louis, kevin saunderson, larry

sherman, spanky, ron trent. many others, so should be good.

as Robin says - Can't wait!

out

nath