I just got back to Portland from Berlin via Frankfurt.  Ended up
not making it to any clubs, actually.  I tried to get in at Week-End
around 1 am but got the "are you on the invite list" rejection.
Which I thought was standard door-ese for "scram" but apparently
was because the club was full.  In any event that gave me a chance
to wander through Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg at peak hour on a
Saturday night.  There is a kind of up-beat attitude in Berlin
which I really enjoyed.  I didn't want to go all the way out to
Berghain and get a second rejection the same evening so that
never came to pass.

I was actually in Berlin for an ecology conference at the Freie
Universitat so I didn't get to join in with the 313ers at Hardwax
on Saturday but I did go on Monday and very glad I did, what
a great store.  Not deep in everything but deep in a lot of things
I like.  I ended up with an original-issue LP of U Roy version
tracks, a live EU go go album I didn't have (and I thought I had
all their stuff), an acid house thing from Detroit (!) around 1990
by "M$.V" called "Out of Your Mind" that Art Forest produced,
the repress of Josh Wink's "Meditation Will Manifest" (the only
record I've ever lost, about 8 years ago, one of the few Wink
tracks I really like, and one I haven't been able to find), and,
coincidentally enough, Henrik Schwarz's new "Leave My Head
Alone Brain" which they were playing on the store system and
is just mental-as-anything.  Not only that but I had a beer and
a fine lunch at the cafe on the corner.  That seals it - Hardwax
is one of maybe four or five top DJ stores I've ever been to :)

fh