On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:07:27PM -0800, Fred Heutte wrote:
> Hmm . . . Tweekin in San Francisco, Submerge/SID (of course),
> and three no longer in existence -- Ameba in SF (not the current
> Amoeba which is a good super-store), Exotique in Seattle and
> Sonic Groove in NYC.
>
> Other ones I have liked include Record Time in Detroit, 12-Inch
> Dance Records in DC (also out of business now), Eightball in
> NYC (also gone), BPM in SF, Flying and Vinyl Junkies in London,
> Gramophone in Chicago and and our own Platinum and Starbass
> (gone) here in Portland.  There are quite a few well known
> house/techno stores that I have not been to (LA and Toronto in
> particular) so this is hardly a comprehensive list.

I haven't been to shops in the USA other than in Miami, but think I have
been to many memorable shops in (central) Europe/UK. Fat Cat back in
1995 was the only one I think would rival Hardwax, both in terms of
classic stock, unsual stuff to discover, and interesting/funny
situations, like bumping into Dave Angel entering the shop with his
spliff on, or introducing Basic Channel 01 to then Advent's Colin
McBean... Reckon that Hardwax in 1999 had an almost complete catalog in
stock for labels like UR, Metroplex, Dancemania, Strictly Rhythm, many
Trax/DJ Int'l, etc...

Clone in Rotterdam and Rub-a-Dub in Glasgow are/were very good and also
carry loads of classics and (techno) labels catalogs. Also Piccadilly in
Manchester is rather good, but they are more diverse and do not stock
so much... On a somewhat lower level, than the list would go on&on like
Rare Records in Eindhoven, Vinyl Junkies and Smallfish in London, Import
in Paris, etc...

> But only Hardwax is on a block (actually they are in a back

One thing really cool about HW is the staircase leading to the shop full
of grafitti and signatures from DJs/artits... Oh, and seeing the first
snow flakes falling last year while some rather deep and dope stuff was
on the shop soundsystem was fun as well (at least to a tropic guy like
me).

Guilherme Menegon Arantes, PhD       Sao Paulo, Brasil