From: Todd Sines [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 30 January 2007 17:29
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) Carl Craig :: The Workout

He probably engineered it himself though... Mastering is usually handled

by the label to give it a second listen with fresh ears.

I engineered the Death in Vegas mix for Richard Fearless for Fabric.
Levels were adjusted by me and then adjusted again by the mastering
facility that Fabric uses. They hear stuff you don't after listening to
it over and over. I highly recommend that you let a mastering facility
have the final say vs. the artist, because you become so attached and
used to things, it's hard for you to think outside of it.

I also do some compilation CD mastering and import all of the CD tracks
into Live, use a multi-band compressor on it all, match the levels from
song to song and normalize it. Haven't had a complaint yet.

now, as for getting on the microphone and adding to all of the tracks
your own MC'ing... that is another story.

+odd

PS: http://www.toddsines.com/ ... new reviews of the new release on
Frankie

PPS: playing in Chicago next Wednesday 07 Feb, available Thurs + Friday
.. plus also booking European tour dates for April + May now. and dates
for Asia in July. get in touch: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Matt Kane's Brain wrote:
> In any case, Carl Craig didn't master this so it's a silly reason not
> buy his mixes.
>
> On Jan 30, 2007, at 11:57, robin wrote:
>

>> Is it not just really squashed with a compressor rather than clipped?
>>
>> The two situations look the same in a wave editor (still doesn't help

>> the sound quality issue though, I hate "squashed" mastering).
>>
>> Kent? :)
>>
>> robin...
>>
>> Williams, Graham wrote:
>>> I recently bought "The Workout" mix cd, I haven't bought a cd in
years,
>>> but what a disappointment, when I was listen to it, it sounded a bit
>>> rough, kinda like it was clipping, so I opened it in Sound Forge to
have
>>> a look. At least 50% of the mix must have been in the red when it
was
>>> recorded. What a disgrace. I wont be buying a CC mix cd again.
Anyone

--
Todd Sines
director