Hi again

"Disagree, I can hear the difference in our studio - it's massive enough for
anyone to spot, which is why we wire Live through a desk before the sound
goes anywhere but I'd never use it to master anything in a million years.
Each to their own I guess..."

It is interesting that you say anyone can spot this - it must be very
noticeable.  It would be interesting to know the details of your tests and
setups.??

The published tests that I have seen are always along these lines:

1) WAV file imported into DAW_A
2) WAV then processed using some hi end pluggin
3) track bounced to a new WAV

This is repeated in Live and other DAWs and then the bounced versions are
compared.

There are numerous variations on this test on the net and as far as Im
aware; no one has found any differences.  The tests also exist for say,
Cubase/Pro Tools etc etc.  Their conclusions are always the same: Modern
professional DAW packages are so advanced now that sound quality
considerations can be forgotten about.

But still, would be interesting to find some tests that go against this.
I'll take a sniff around later

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk