The crowd counts before 2005 were clearly based on conjecture.
I've run a lot of events, organized rallies, done crowd counts,
worked with venue managements, etc.  Think about it.  How
big is a typical basketball/hockey arena?  20,000  or so.
Baseball and football range from 30,000 to 75,000.  Could
you imagine really putting 20,000 people in Hart Plaza at
once?  Not me.

Look, the numbers are of passing interest but not what's
historically and currently important about the festival.  What's
important is that enough people show up to overflow Hart
Plaza every year.  And while I think the musical quality
has been on a slow decline the last several years, there
are always enough great moments and even sets to make
it all worthwhile.  I'm still grinning about Little Louie playing
Stevie Wonder at just exactly the right moment on that
blistering hot afternoon last year :)

fh