On 22 Mar 2007, at 11:14, Jussi Lehtonen wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Martin Dust wrote:
On 22 Mar 2007, at 09:37, robin wrote:

> We have a culture coming up that don't believe they should pay for > anything, that's the problem.

And it seems that they feel like they should not contribute in any way. I understand the attitude of not wanting to have anything to do with money ("I downloaded a record you made, here's a record made by me.". But I think that in the past, during self-sufficient economy (when agriculture was the main form of ""industry"), the kind of lazy sods only willing to leech on other people's effor would have been dealt with quite harshly.

I don't think it's that at all - they don't know how to contribute, it started when you could buy 3 bootleg CDs for the price of one and now you don't have to buy anything - market forces and only £10 to spend a month. All you have to do is upload something and you are in - just fire Soulseek and head to the Techno Room, everything for nothing....

The problem is "they" don't think they are doing anything wrong, everyone does it right and no one pays, it's the accepted norm. I've no idea how you educate people on this, I just hope it isn't too late. While some heads may try before they buy, many simply don't - fact. I don't know what the answer here is but it has to be built around trust and educating. People will buy stuff if they can find it, this has always be the key - distribution, without it doesn't matter how good your product is.

The music culture as we know it has changed so much, everything is on tap and instant demand these days - so old methods don't and won't work.

I'm looking forward to the Web 2.0. I know it's a buzzword (and they
usually won't live up to their excpectations, or blossom gradually), but lately I've been having problems finding good music. At the moment almost all of the webstores have only very narrow (or very vague) music descriptions, and they use only a couple of description tags.

We've been talking about this a lot, the problem with big download sites is the shear "churn" - Beatport does something like 4,000 tunes a week!!! Impossible to find anything and most don't have time to look.

What we need are some trusted heads on there making lists, doing charts and reviewing, this method worked with magazine like Q an Mojo, there's no reason for it not to work here - Nokia had the right idea here but it was badly executed.

The other problem is you can't link to tracks iTunes or Beatport, big mistake, trapped by their own technology.

You also have to remember that most distributors don't have the passion we have, they are simply box shifters who will treat your wares like fruit and veg.

An interesting development towards user friendly music search, utilizing tags and metafiles, would be to combine for example:
- active community functions (last.fm, 313-list)
- personal up-to-date information (discogs' collections and wantlists) - music rating - system would analyze a piece of music according to it's metadata and mayhaps even waveform, and the users would thet rate it according to their taste (even random music rating would improve the accuracy)

Good, but it doesn't always work and being recommend things by a "computer" does get peoples back up. What you need is some human intervention, things we can trust. I'm sick of automated crap and no one actually believes their bank manager signed that letter, even if it was printed in a different ink but hang on we don't actually buy 80 million pound worth of bottled water a year ;)

  "Metaprogram yourself."

Break the code by drinking Darke Ale, it's the way forward ;)