On 22 Mar 2007, at 13:11, theREALmxyzptlk wrote:

Martin Dust wrote:

The problem is "they" don't think they are doing anything wrong, everyone does it right and no one pays, it's the accepted norm. I've no idea how you educate people on this, I just hope it isn't too late. While some heads may try before they buy, many simply don't - fact. I don't know what the answer here is but it has to be built around trust and educating. People will buy stuff if they can find it, this has always be the key - distribution, without it doesn't matter how good your product is.

I see your point and agree, Martin, but I do wonder about the "niche factor" surrounding 313 and electronic music in general. Seems to me that these sorts of off-road genres have always been like truffles that need to be sniffed out and hunted down. I have more questions than answers about these things, but I have to ask if people who don't feel the NEED to crawl up the vein and into the aorta ARE going to look for it when it is available. I have always demonstrated my fiscal irresponsibility when it comes to music - ever since I had an allowance. It's one of the reasons I don't own a house; I spend way too much per week on music. It's a gerbil wheel, it's an addiction, it's a need, and one I need to get in check now that I am retired (or more properly, between careers with a 70% pay cut!). I have always paid for music and still do; I resell on Satan-bay to recoup part of the loss and buy more. I *will* buy it if I can find it, and at my age I have developed a pretty good nose for finding it. I'm just not sure everybody (even in niche genres) cares enough to seek it out, and if they don't care enough to dig deep and long, will they care enough to purchase it? I can only speak from my own cultural context and I know it's a bit different over there, but...

Sure, I totally understand where you are coming from Jeff but my case was more of an objective viewpoint rather than subjective one. Culture has changed, the way we consume things is very different now. You could say that Beatport is niche, in fact we know it is but iTunes isn't and that's probably where the new market may be.

Having said that, 97% of people with an iPod have never purchased anything from iTunes...