On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Martin Dust wrote:

You also have to remember that most distributors don't have the passion we have, they are simply box shifters who will treat your wares like fruit and veg.

Yes, most likely the only way to get them interested is to offer a unique competition value over other distributors (getting random music listeners, connoisseurs etc. as customers). It's still a fruit and veg store, but instead of dryed parsnip they could sell fresh juniper berries. :)

An interesting development towards user friendly music search, utilizing tags and metafiles, would be to combine for example:
- active community functions (last.fm, 313-list)
- personal up-to-date information (discogs' collections and wantlists) - music rating - system would analyze a piece of music according to it's metadata and mayhaps even waveform, and the users would thet rate it according to their taste (even random music rating would improve the accuracy)

Good, but it doesn't always work and being recommend things by a "computer" does get peoples back up. What you need is some human intervention, things we can trust.

That was the "active community functions" mentioned above. "Accept recommendations from people you trust", in a similar vein spamassassin does. For example while pulling information from this list, I'd probably soon notice whose record recommendations I would keep in the system's peer list, and whose I'd drop out because they have too different taste in music. So the basic idea with this is that along with one's friends in music there's a lot of human generated information out there, but it needs to be sorted out. A lot of clutter nowadays.

  "Metaprogram yourself."

Break the code by drinking Darke Ale, it's the way forward ;)

Which forward is that? ;)

Jussi Lehtonen

  "Metaprogram yourself."