On 3/27/07, David Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dude seriously, I don't know who you've seen using software, but it
really is that easy with a computer. In fact, these days I've been
experimenting with literally writing new patterns on the fly, DURING
my live PA in Ableton ... Once you have a couple synths that you like
then it's really easy to use them quick and dial in exactly what you
want, often in under a minute, and making a new pattern in a piano
roll is pretty quick too. A 5 year old could do it.

my 5 year old son can turn on a 101 and play notes on it. while he is
now learning his way around a computer, i guarantee that he couldnt
get even the most simple computer based music setup going without alot
of help. thats what this is all about. it should be so easy a child
could do it!

Ah, well you have a point there, this we can agree on. In fact I
notice a distinct difference between my music and many of my friends
on this point, because I'm a trained composer and have been a
professional piano player.

im not surprised that there is a difference, even though even being
trained is not really important. striving for something beyond "a cool
synth sound" is what is important, and that doesnt seem to be entering
a lot of producers' minds.....

Anyway, I don't think people are at fault exactly. The problem is a
lack of knowledge. Lack of knowledge of rhythm, harmony, and how to
put those things together in a techno context (it is NOT the same as
writing a pop, rock, jazz, or classical song ...). However, I don't
think the theory that is out there, is presented in a way that makes
sense or appeals to techno musicians. So it's not surprising that
people don't know how to create interesting "compositions".

i dont disagree with this, either. but the thing is, worrying too much
about theory or anything like that can detract from the main idea as
well! progressive rock is guilty of this, punk showed up to check that
musical direction. disco is the same, it could go way overboard with
the strings and whatnot, then house showed up and checked it back into
something more useful. there's a line there that needs to be
straddled, in some ways traditional music should be embraced but in
others it should be shunned. and the same for modern ideas. im not
even sure its possible to make a generalization about where that line
lies. but i think it is easy to hear it.

This is why lately, I have seriously been considering writing a book
called "Music Theory for Techno Artists" or something like that, that
takes a new approach to theory. It would explain harmony, but it would
not focus on typical pop progressions, but rather use a more
mathematical approach to harmony, based more on what 20th century
composers and jazz musicians do.

that is really an outstanding idea. you should do it.

tom