I was away from my computer when I, possibly, fueled the explosion in this thread so apologies for not following up.

I was going to apologise for feeding this potentially tired discussion but I think this topic is crucial for how electronic music performance is headed, and I mean both artist's performance and DJs. The line between which is going to seriously blur over the next few years.

Some thoughts:

That MPC or Electribe is a computer. What sets it apart for some people is it's intuitive physical interface and software that doesn't get in the way of your creative thoughts. The stability of a single purpose computer is also a bonus.

This Macbook with appropriate software is exactly the same thing if I can make the physical interface to the software as intuitive and comfortable as a pair of decks and a mixer or an MPC. I believe software/hardware/computers are pretty much there when it comes to that intuitiveness/physical interface/stability.

I have no qualms with sorting out computer problems live on stage (not that I get that many, when I've dj'ed, demoed research software and even given presentations). The ability to recover from a small computer porblem/broken string/dodgy cable/broken needle is all part and parcel of being a performer.

robin...