On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 12:07 PM, Jayson B. wrote:

one of the most amazing things about the beos is its natural audio latency time. STANDARD this OS spits out audio at THREE MILLISECONDS. 3 ms. Think about that one more time. That means the ONLY time a dj is going to really noticed any latency is when he's doing some heavy scratching, and minute at best. When you look at windows with its 35ms on a great day latency, you see why this system needs to be run on be os.

Anyone have any specs on Mac OS X? I've heard from propaganda (http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/audio.html)
that audio throughput latency on OS X is as low as 1ms.  To quote:

"The Core Audio HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) provides ultra low latency communication between applications and I/O devices that is measurably more efficient than previous solutions. M-Audio reports latency as low as 40 samples on Mac OS X from the company’s audio interfaces. That translates into 1ms throughput latency — and you get this performance in a full multi-channel environment."

Unfortunately there are no pro audio apps out for Mac OS X to test this with. If this is true, I would think that it makes more sense to release Final Scratch on Mac OS X rather than BeOS...