Absolutely valid point.  But,

1. the same opportunites presented to the artists in question beg to speak to the business. Inequity.... is sorely understating it.

2. moreover, the main crux of my long winded tireade spoke to the difference between being a consumer and being in the industry trying to keep sh*t alive. It is becoming increasingly difficult for the indies to compete with the mega-merged out entertainment conglomerates that peeps like S&D are wholeheartedly vested with and the propaganda it spins off.

Try to understand what it was like to suddenly be eliminated.....like the conspiracy which killed 'Disco' music and simultaneously spawned the birth of the CD. Vinyl based music (black music) was quintessentially being eliminated so the majors could price fix and gouge the world's music buying public, spawning the most outrageous (what's the legal term for it??) "price-fixing public lawsuits which, correct me if I'm wrong, may still be litigating till now. Scandal....

Disco was eliminated at the height of Donna Summer's 10 million selling "Greatest Hits" lp. The label, Casablanca Records, closed down forever. That was in 1979-80?? I think, geeesh I forget, but will never forget as I was working for an minority/independently owned broadcast company called "Inner City Broadcasting" (WLBS-FM/Detroit, WLIB-FM/San Francisco and the still hangin/ WBLS-FM/NYC).

A year or so later, WLBS in Detroit was sold.

You must understand that I've been on the receiving end o'dis sh*t before as Promotion Director for WLBS at that time. America has not evolved at'all...devolve really IS now Jayson/Steve, which is why, more than ever, apathy is distasteful to me with regard to the business.

Loooooong before Mojo, it was WLBS that BROKE/introduced the following artists to Detroit radio (when radio really WAS coolgroovycoool): Prince, Kraftwerk, Eddie Grant, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Gary Numan, Tina Marie, Phyllis Hyman, Donna Summer, Tata Vega, Change (ftg. Luther VanDross) and many, many more. ONLY Detroit radio stations like WLBS were allowing for the Prince's of the music industry to have their outlet.......and finally their careers.

Were it not for Detroit's WLBS...Prince woulda been dropped--period--end of story. Warner Bros. put him on as the opening act for the Rolling Stones tour in 77 or 78 (can't remember) and he was literally booed, caned, and thrown trash and bottles at by irate--white rockers already grasping the anti-dance/soul propaganda conspiracy underway.

That began the end of indie radio in America, simultaneous to the end of indie disco/dance labels. Now that those independently owned stations have been eliminated...the vehicle for music like ours is gone.

I am not unique folks...perhaps to you I am, however the history is well-documented by innumerable legal, cultural watch-dog groups like the ACLU.

When I say that Juan Atkins broke down social barriers....I mean HUGE anti-dance--separatist barriers. The funk would not be denied however.

Once upon a time, rock n' roll was all black American artists and was the dance music of its day too! Look what happened to that. Once again the black rock n'roll/soul artists like Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Ike Turner, Chuck Berry had nominal success before fading into obscurity.......but not before being covered, copied and repackaged as the British Invasion a la the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.

We are in this business to win...not just show up to parties and tap-dance for y'all. I cannot understand how you cannot connect these dots...........