From: "Giles Dickerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "laura gavoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Peter Leidy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 06:37
Subject: [313] Marketinbg techno + house to the masses

I think a huge part of why the attempts to marklet house and techno on a
large scale have failed is because there is no one singing (sure
occasionally there is) but there's no one there dancing singing to make a
video of, talking to the audience. Popular music has melodies that are
easily remembered and have lyrics than be sung along to. I'm guessing thet's
the huge appeal the house and techno are often missing.

Hence the explosion of "Everything but the girl". The grand reception of
Bjorks "dance vocals".
Hip hop is as close as we've come the beats are as heavy and great but there
someone there singing and talking and on an average human level, people can
connect with that easily.

- Giles

D I G I T A S // B O S T O N
--