>>  dont you fools
>> know that the music knows no color?

This is a lovely idealistic thought but you really can't isolate music in
some kind of poetic vacuum. The music is a product of a certain cultural,
social and economic hegemony and the circumstances determine whether it is
heard or not and by whom. This affects people of colour making music, women
making music, musicians in Second or Third World countries..... There is
incredible cutting-edge hip-hop style music coming out of South Africa but
how many of us get to hear it? Instead this music is 'ghettoised' as 'World
Music' or not disseminated at all.

The thing is, by building support, some people can to a point intervene in
this paradigm and I think many techno types have done this - look at how UR
brilliantly handled the Rolando/Jaguar situation! Genius. In a pop paradigm
I feel in different ways Madonna and Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott really
flipped the script for female artists.

Juan has spoken of these issues in other interviews and he is always matter
of fact about them. I personally feel there is validity to his
arguments/heard some interesting things. But whether you agree or not, why
can't we discuss them without getting personal?

Actually I have forgotten what the original debate was about!