Last night I got home and switched on Radio 4 - it's the new Environ - and
the "leading Edge" science show was discussing Terry Riley's "Sun Rings"
composition for the Kronos Quartet. It's based on some sounds obtained from
plasma waves in and around earth. The bit I caught was about these waves
being thrown up by the Earth's electromagnetic fields and travelling to the
poles. Higher frequencies arrive before lower ones so the recording have
this sliding sound. It's eerie as. But the Jupiter ones (jovial? har har)
are melodic and rhythmic. It all sounded superb. Check them out, and have a
read, at:

http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/