I would like to state that i totally agree with dale, and he made a very mature and solid arguement in this post.

                If you knew anything about Plus 8 artists,
                you would know that every single Live P.A.
                by any Plus 8 artist, anywhere, was 100%
                live.

*cough*
when-richie-first-started-playing-live-he-was-dat-then-switched-to-a-full-live-rig
*cough*

;-)

              No loop on my
                sequencer goes longer than 8 bars.  I do
                all of the arrangement and mixing on the fly
                which brings me to:

here's a question: why do so few live pa's do this? Of the ones that i've seen that actually *do* play live, i still see many of them with fully sequenced songs. the only thing they do is is twiddle a few knobs. I mean, if you're not going to play that way, why not play off of dat?

gah. i don't know. its such an interesting performance medium to me, and sometimes it breaks my heart that live pa's STILL don't get much respect. It doesn't matter how much gear you have on stage, or how much of it is performed live; you're always going to have people asking, "so what kind of music do you spin?" And now with technology like finalscratch, the line between production and djing is blurred even more. is the live performance of electronic music just going to go away? Companies are starting to put gear out with the live situation in mind, and most of it really can heighten the live experience (i *love* my two rs7000's), but i still don't see any sort of increased emphasis of live performance anywhere, be it in messageboards or magazines. I don't see urb (used as merely as an example) publishing an article on the top100 live pa's, or the top25, or the top 10, or even mentioning anyone who plays live. it just seems like you get respect in this community (techno elitism included) if you DJ AND you produce. or maybe i'm just a jealous whiney bitch. or maybe its the fact that as live artists we just haven't given the crowd what they want. any ideas?