Wow.  You try to rise up, and they keep trying
                to knock you back down...

                That's interesting, but I think you may have that
                certain artist confused with someone else, like
                the kind of 'artist' that rolls up to Forans with
                a yamaha md-8 track minidisc player and some
                effects boxes playing 100% pre-recorded tracks
                with some live effects added in.  Hell, why press
                play on your sequencer when you can set the
                mini-disc player to 'mislead-the-crowd' while
                pretending to get dubby on the F/X?

                I'm seeing the pot, but the kettle's not black.

                Though, I can understand why you wouldn't want to
                put forth the effort-- what, with only ten people
                there and all.  Of course, I wasn't one of them...

                Anyway, all hypocrisy aside:::
                I don't know about the artist you were referring to
                but if I were to walk away from my set midstream it
                would just get caught in the same loop, over and over,
                without evolution...

                caught in the same loop, over and over,
                without evolution...

                caught in the same loop, over and over,
                without evolution...

                --and that would be very boring, in about 10 seconds.

                Lets just say that *I* am the only one with firsthand
                experience over the controls of my sets, and with
                regard to whatever illusion you may have to the
                contrary:

                1) my mixer settings would not survive from one track
                to the next.  Yes, it is difficult being the entire
                band, as well as the sound engineer--who most 'normal'
                bands have the luxury of having someone off stage
                controlling the mixer for them--during a performance
                but that's what a live electronic P.A. is all about.
                I'm up to the challenge, and fully partake.

                2) The cutoff frequency on the Junos are assigned
                to the mod-wheel and that is what I tweaked on them
                when I used them in my sets, which I don't anymore
                because they are big, bulky, and I didn't want to
                carry them around everywhere, especially with my
                gigs becoming more frequent.  You have to be careful
                with vintage gear you know...

                Besides the Junos, my synths, synth modules, drum
                synths, and sampler are fully tweakable, which I
                take full advantage of in my sets.

                3) The Kawai Q80 may be a song based sequencer for
                most people, but when I had it I used it as a loop
                based sequencer.  I've never been known to simply
                use my gear just like Joe RTFM down the street.
                Actually my entire set barely took up the space on
                a disc of one two-minute song's midi data.  No, each
                loop, as I said before, and was true then just as
                it is now, was only 4 to 8 bars long, and each track
                had 8 to 18 separate loops that I had to manage
                individually in order to control each specific
                element of the overall piece.

                Again, I should probably take it as a compliment
                since it seems I make it look easy when I know that
                it isn't.  Perhaps you could demonstrate to me how
                to 'really work that [EMAIL PROTECTED]' on your md-8
                minidisc player one day?

                While I'm at it, expanding the horizons of my studio
                by incorporating analog and digital synth capability,
                software synth capability, including the ability to
                sample the sounds that I have created (which is what
                I use my sampler for), and adding new options for
                the creative musician doesn't mean that I've fallen
                off of anything.  It only means I'm reaching higher,
                evolving, and don't want to get stuck in the rut
                that you most likely will find yourself in, if you
                haven't already.

                Sure, it's a five minute game, but when you hit
                the magic number you get extended play, and a
                greater shot at longevity.  Some of us know how
                to play.  Are you ready to put your quarter in yet?

                Haters and Fools...
                Dale Lawrence