There seems to be a general lack of understanding about Eno's philosophies and worldviews as they relate to his music. Nowhere, and in no form, does he perpetuate the notion that true art can be derived only from personal struggle. Being influenced by John Cage, he brings a Buddhist approach to musical composition. His concern is with systems and the ways in which they interrelate; the joy and surprise of moments of random beauty. He attempts to diminish the role of the ego whilst composing, for he believes the imposition of the individual will kills the essential lifeblood of a song. Beauty is best found (and can be found) in a natural setting, without the meddling of man's unbound ignorance. Therefore, Eno's qualms with the use of modern technology is the artist's meticulation in crafting with surgical precision every minute detail of a piece.

This is what I know. This is not necessarily what I believe. And I do realize that Eno's own childlike love of simple melody prevents his ability to leave the compositional process wholly to chance.

       Rusty