On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jussi Lehtonen wrote:

> In some cases it's very easy, and in my opinion appropriate, to blame the
> music makers' lack of imagination.

Well, I look at it this way. Most people really aren't very good. Given
how capitalist pop media manipulation works, barely talented people can
achieve prominence based on properties having nothing to do with music:
a nice smile, a certain attitude teenagers can identify with, personal
magnetism.

Given Eno's lifestyle I doubt he even listens very broadly to the sort
of music being made now.  Again, given crass capitalist pop media, the
worst examples of the music are the ones he's most likely to have heard.
There's plenty of music that conforms to his description; but it's
just not the whole story...

Stockhausen has made disparaging comments about techno as well, though
his thesis is that repetetive beats are the sound of fascism.  Apparently
neither he nor Eno have any real inkling of what the music is about.