I have got to say that the Pioneers' FX are excellent and well  integrated. In
fact, their mixers which I've used are fabulous for Techno-style  DJing (i.e.
heavy-handed FX & EQ use). Way better than A&H. I always  felt that the A&H
user interface affords the DJ to put too much thought  into the mixing.

As long as you don't overload the inputs, pretty much any mixer is  transparent
enough. I'm happy to use my 3-channel, 3-band Numark. It really  doesn't color
the sound in any meaningful way, and the fader curves  feel natural enough.

But I definitely agree with tom, that gains should be accessible and  give you
plenty of gain for playing your older records that were pressed  at like -24
relative to today's music.

-Gil