[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
I don't know why this occurs to me after just coming into the house near
midnight after watching "Control" (which I thought was thrilling) but I
guess this is the sort of thing that people sometimes like to gas about on
this forum  ;-)

I keep waiting around for the next exciting new form of music.  Maybe I'm
getting old and not appreciating what's out there but I've been waiting a
while now.

OK I'm just saying something peepz on here have said plenty times recently -
and I bet others have said down the years as their opinion hardens that
what's out there now doesn't match what they remember in "their time".

However my particular take on a familiar theme this time is:
1.  It seems like we can synthesise just about any crazy sound we want now
(just take hold of those dots and make a wave any shape we want) or
reproduce any naturally occurring sound at will with modest equipment.
2.  As far as I know (and this may be a weak point as I'm short on expertise
here) is that we've explored and to a certain extent become familiar with
most of the world now and there doesn't seem to be any large culture or
ethnic group who's music we have yet to hear / be blown away by / magpie
some bits of into our own popular music.

So is the reason that it seems to me that there's no new ideas about but
just the same old being rehashed is that instead of being liberated by all
this freedom to produce as we like and all this wealth of sounds from around
the world we have to examine that if there's nothing strange and new
prodding us along (instruments that sound unlike any we've used yet, a new
vibe from another land) we run out of steam a bit?

Still I guess not having new instruments didn't stop Berg, Mahler and
Schoenberg (or punk - but you could argue that was more of a fashion thing
than music that was revolutionary).

I can relate to what's your saying: listening to electronic music since '90, I have zero patience for crappy stuff
and I'm more and more picky on what I consider quality.
Too much music today is formulaic and same sounding, it's been said many times. Too many producers are doing a crappy quick job, some for money and other by inexperience or lack of musical knowledge. I wish more techno/house producer had a musical formation background. Take St Germain for example, he has a classical music background and in most of his music it shows. What I want to say is that if now we can produce every sound we want, it's not sufficient for making great music if good songwriting and composition does not go with it. My main concern is that most of tracks produced today from looped bangers to so called minimal techno go nowhere: the track has no satisfying struture and you have the impression the artist didn't know where he wanted to go, or just abandonned the track. I guess not every guy is Carl Craig. So to me the main area I'd like to see progress is good track composition and less generic stuff. However I'm sceptical it'll change much as it's so easy to release crap nowadays (digital labels). A paradox is as yopu say we didn't have so much freedom sound wise until today, yet a lot of stuff is samey sounding as if the producers used the same software and production techniques. Good news is that hidden deep under the deluge of release there's still some interesting stuff released that has some lasting power.