On 8 Nov 2007, at 14:51, Thomas D. Cox, Jr. wrote:

On Nov 8, 2007 8:49 AM, Martin Dust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The Burial new album stinks to it's very roots of garage Tom, it's
positively dripping with it.

which is why i like it! and why i think its great that suddenly all
those garage records on my shelf are now "cool" when they werent just
a few years ago. sh*t cracks me up.

As I mentioned earlier, it just aint for me.

The whole point of Dubstep at the start was to throw out the rules
but it's quickly become the worst parts of DnB and garage - I don't
think it's sunk yet but the dog needs to learn more that one trick.

nah, at the very beginning, dubstep was just 2-step minus the vocals
and adding on a bunch of echo and more dubwise bass. it was only after
it got attacked by the "garage outsiders" that it became what it is
now. in fact, i think im gonna have to do a mix of those old records,
theyre still so good and entertaining and many of them would fit in
just fine with broken beats, Recloose, Carl Craig, etc. at least thats
what i used to mix them up with!

That's not strictly true but I can't be arsed to map the early days of Dubstep out again :)

I've just played them both of these back to back and Black Secret
sounds more modern than the stuff on Untrue, with basically is one
idea for 45+ minutes, BST kicks its sorry ass if you ask me.

but man, comparing the two straight up is just not what its all about!

I think it's a fair call, one's ground break and one isn't.

The break used throughout Untrue bores me to death, record static and
Bladerunner samples just make it even more of a cliche. On tracks
like Archangel I'm just waiting for Craig David to burst in and tell
me what he's been up to this week.

a cliche? thats wild, Burial is exactly not a cliche IMO. all the
other dubstep stuff IS though!

Tom some of those sample have been used so much their udders are bleeding, even the stuff he's lifted from the More Rockers Crew has been done to death.

It's like a bad version of Timeless by Goldie, it never gets going
for me and it even sound to broke to be a good "monger"

same with that album. with BST and Timeless you are talking about
music that is very 1995. sure, they are both timelessly great albums,
but their perspective is not burial's. burial's perspective is more
like mine, he loved that stuff, then watched it die. then he got into
2-step and loved that, and watched it die, too. if anything, his name
is so powerful because it reflects the deaths of those great musics
(and another aside, when the long running Steel City Jungle club night
[the first all jungle club night in the US IIRC] ended, my friends and
i threw a huge all jungle party called "The Burial", named of course
after the classic 94 joint by Leviticus....).

Except Timeless still makes me shiver....

Not for me I guess.

that sums it up more than any fault in the music, IMO! if anything,
when the first Burial album blew up, i was bewildered at why so many
people who didnt like 2-step or old school jungle were feeling it. now
i guess it is obvious that he just touches something in people, and
now people seem to be getting into more of that stuff that they might
have overlooked at the time. which is superawesome since there is so
much good music in those two genres.

It's defo not the fault of anyone, he's made an album and he loves it and stands by it, nothing more you can ask and if he's like me he won't give a flying crap what anyone else says and that's the way it should be. I'm just trying to avoid doing an edit job :)