Toby Frith wrote:
there is something a bit daft in the idea that classical musicians interpreting techno
music sort of "validates" it which I often feel is the hidden agenda behind
these sorts of exercises, because ultimately classical music and orchestras are seen as
the high end of the spectrum, whilst some guy pressing buttons on a drab grey box is seen
as the opposite end.

I can't speak to the concept behind the Blue Potential project, nor to the way audiences might feel about the notion of validation for these projects in general.

But I worked on the Alarm Will Sound/Aphex Twin thing, and our only motivation there was that we just loved the music and wanted to hear what it would sound like played by acoustic instruments. There was certainly no sinister marketing angle or highbrow/lowbrow thinking - that's for cultural theorists and hipster bloggers, not musicians.

--
Dennis DeSantis

www.dennisdesantis.com
www.myspace.com/dennisdesantis