My favorite shop for new music is Halcyon, in Dumbo (Brooklyn):
halcyonline.com

A1 is great for used Disco and Hip-Hop, as is The Sound Library on Ave A.
There's a new, smaller shop on East 2nd street b/w Ave A & B (or maybe B &
C?) that had a decent selection of used disco, house and reggae. I can't
recall the name offhand...

I'd also suggest Academy Records in Williamsburg (somewhere around N6th
street and Berry St.) they have a nice diverse selection of stuff, though
mostly used.

Vinyl Market keeps somewhat irregular hours, as it's only employee is the
owner, Kazu. Turntable Lab is good, though small. I haven't hit Dope Jams,
as it's inconveniently located for me.

As for Syntax: John D is not the owner, he's the Domestic Buyer. Mike M
and Stas are/were the owners. I'm going there tomorrow to pick up some of
their stock so I'll see what's up. They still have lots of stuff, they've
just stopped buying new music and are liquidating their backstock.

Unique also apparently closed up shop, but I haven't heard any details yet.

Have fun in NYC!

Scatalogics
205 15th Street #A7
Brooklyn, NY 11215

"talent copies but genius steals"
www.scatalogics.com

Out Now!:
1. Ulysses "The Wanderings of a Handkerchief" Suicide Recordings, feat.
Jamie Jones remix.
2. Jordan Dare "Voyeur11 (Boom Music)" Sodium Records, feat. Ulysses Remix.
3. Ulysses "Resistance" Sodium Records, feat. Tony Rohr & Nick Chacona
Remixes.