> My favorite shop for new music is Halcyon, in Dumbo (Brooklyn):
> halcyonline.com

i've never been to halcyon either...dunno why none of my (other)
friends go there..

> A1 is great for used Disco and Hip-Hop, as is The Sound Library on Ave A.

a1 can be great for everything. freestyle, italo, old house and techno
as well...if you go here often enough to snatch the super-goodies
before someone else does..last time i was there i picked up keynotes
(incognito #1) for $15, mint, i'm very happy with it. they have
bonafide sections for nu groove, dj int'l, trax, strictly, detroit,
etc etc, though the prices aren't always a steal...it's definitely
worth checking for house and techno, blues, jazz, anything really.

where on A is the sound library?

> I'd also suggest Academy Records in Williamsburg (somewhere around N6th
> street and Berry St.) they have a nice diverse selection of stuff, though
> mostly used.

is it academy that just opened a new store in manhattan in december? i
think so. i went opening day, but i can't remember what it was called,
or quite where it was. somewhere in the lower east side as well i
think.

> As for Syntax: John D is not the owner, he's the Domestic Buyer. Mike M

yeah minto corrected me on that too, doh. anyways, he was good to work
with. but overall syntax was a pretty mediocre experience, late
payments, very minimal support, no real personal interest in what we
were doing or personal relationships etc...same story with watts...we
never had much of a positive experience with american distrib..

jt